What is the last eroge you finished, and what do you think about it?

"Finished" Duel Savior yesterday.

To be true, I skipped three routes completely (Berio's, Nanashi's and Rico's). Berio's, Kaede's, Nanashi's and Rico's routes only are preparations and explanations for Lily's and Mia's route. Lily's route is much more extensive than the routes before and there's much more story. Mia's route is completely different than Lily's, but I liked Lily's route more. And the harem route was completely different too, but it was definitely the best route of the game :D

The negative points of the game: Chapter 1 to 3 is completely equal for each character after you've cleared Berio's and Kaede's route and chapter 4 to 7 is nearly the same too. In the end you can skip nearly 90% of the text from chapter 1 to 7 after clearing Kaede's and Berio's route. And yeah, you can't skip battles, which makes the whole thing really bad. From chapter 8 on the story is different in each route.

The next thing I have to criticize is the variation of the endings ... after you've cleared two routes you somehow know how each route will end.

The best thing in the whole game: LILY!

Finished it just now as well and I agree with what you wrote. This game needed a battle skip button badly, the "trash battles" from ch.1-7 are very very tedious to go through again and again. Lily is the best one (imo) and the harem route was very nice, especially towards the end. I don't want to talk about Mia or her route -.-

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fate/stay night. It's over. Good lord... Well, I'll put spoiler worthy stuff in a box down below. That's probably for the best because spoilers, even if accidental, are the worst as anyone here would know. By the way, thank you very much for the suggestions I got in the shoutbox to try this VN. I did ask for something to read and this is what I got. Sorry in advance for the length of this text.

This was an epic journey. But that's obvious right? I knew it would be take a long time to finish before starting because of VNDB. But really, it was longer than expected. It was atleast as long as the entire Muv-Luv series. Yes, it was quite exhausting to say the least.

But let's just get this out of the way right now: This is an incredibly entertaining VN. One of the best, no doubt. I was so addicted to reading it that I haven't really been doing much else infront of the computer. Plain and simple, it had a thrilling and intense story that I just wanted to keep reading.

So, some specifics then -

Art/Visuals. Before starting to read it, I thought that the sprite art would put me off somewhat. It doesn't really look like what I'm used to. But of course, even if it's different from what one is used to, it doesn't mean it can't be good. It definately was good in the end. The CG art on the other hand is more than just good - it's really great.

Also, one different thing worth mentioning is the way the text presents itself. It appears in the middle in a transparent grey box which more or less covers the entirety of the screen. This is certainly different from most VNs... But it works. I liked it, but I'm not sure for what reason. Does it make it feel more like reading a normal novel? And if so, would that be a good thing? Does it make the text appear more "powerful"? I'm not sure, I just know it works really well.

Sound/Music. Good all-around. Voice actors did a great job here to say the least. Memorable. When it comes to music, one song in particular is just... Perfect, astonishingly perfect. I'll put a link to it in the spoiler box since it appears near the end of the last route in the VN. I had goosebumps, because it's a flawless piece put in the exact right spots.

Characters. Easily the best part, for me. I love these characters and there are many of them. "Cool" is the right word. They are cool. The weapons, the skills, the personalities, the looks, the voices, I love it. And yes I do have a favourite, but the name of that one goes straight to the spoiler box. Although, it's not hard to have several favourite characters in this VN really.

The main character, Shirou, is not the best but still good enough. He's got nothing on the likes of Kenichi from Sharin no Kuni. Unfortunate but also expected. Still, that's just a personal opinion really. Some will like him, some will not.

Shinji... He's the worst of the worst and that's almost all that needs to be said.

Overall plot. Something epic. Dark, thrilling, mystical, intense, interesting... Well there's alot of that atleast, but not only. There's something special to this though that made me want to keep reading. I wanted to see what happens next. It was an addictive story that I'm going to miss alot. Maybe there are some negatives to it here and there, but if so, I really can't remember them now because the VN as a whole was so good.

The tiger dojos deserves an honorable mention also. It was fun to get the bad endings because of them. They break up the seriousness of the bad endings with something lighthearted so it's easy to keep going.

This is one of those must read VNs. Yes, I seem to have only read VNs like that lately. First Muv-Luv, then Sharin no Kuni, now Fate/stay night. Geez. However, I will say this, again: This is a really long read. So that's something to keep in mind. Still, I'd say that's just a positive in the end. It's a long and entertaining story, well worth all that time.

So that's that. Sad that yet another great VN has ended, but it kinda had to.

Here's the spoiler box, which is only safe to read if you've read the VN already -

The perfect song:

Don't stop after 30 seconds or whatever, keep listening. It is fantastic. At the end of the long journey that is Fate/stay night, you come to the dark finale. Great evil and a great culmination of the Holy Grail War. You facing Dark Sakura. You facing the absolute Kotomine Kirei whom you've learned much about all the way until this point. Tell me, isn't this song PERFECT? Of course it is. The church organs. It is an enchantingly evil song. This is what gave me goosebumps. The last confrontation after such a long read and the final end of the mystical Holy Grail War. The song couldn't possibly fit better.

As for the favourite character - Hassan Sabbah, True Assassin. Probably the best part about him is the fact that he was part of the story at all. I kept thinking during the first and second route that there should be a *real* Assassin somewhere since the samurai is a fake one. Well, it was a very nice surprise that there was one. He's not the strongest, but he looks and sounds really cool. Lancer is good too though... And Caster... And Berserker... And Archer... And Rider... Mm, right.

If talking about non-Servant characters though, then... Probably Kotomine, atleast for antagonist. The other characters were all very good too, although... Shirou was decent but not great, as said before, while Shinji on the other hand takes the prize for worst character in this since he's an unlikable monster. He had relevance to the plot, but that's all he was good for really.

Now, the endings. Let's just say that F/sn did not have a perfect ending for me. None. It had happy endings, but not a perfect one. Ilya died in both UBW and HF - that's no good. Saber, even though I don't care much for her, was also gone in several endings. I'm just going to consider Carnival Phantasm canon! Although I haven't really seen it yet...

Edited by Harlequin
edited for clarification on Shirou
@harlequin, couldn't have said it better but i'm quite surprised that you didn't like that one guy (hint: i'm not talking about shinji). he did so well in UBW and HF routes that i really started to like him

He did good, yes. He wasn't bad, no, but could've been better. Maybe I was being abit "harsh"? It's not like he's anywhere near terrible. Either way, it's really subjective when it comes to whether a character is likable or not. Some will think he's great, some will not. For me he felt alittle bit similar to Takeru (Muv-Luv) in a way, which is good but not amazing. The akabeisoft protagonists are amazing.

However... I will say this: If Kotomine was not part of this VN, then Shirou would be worse. Anyone who has read the VN would understand.

Thumbs up. People normally tend to miss his awesomeness.

Totally. Kotomine is an incredible character. I almost want to put him up there with the likes of Houzuki actually. His backstory and way of doing things are really interesting. Great voice too.

I'm only like 1/4 of the way done with UBW but I don't think Shiro is bad at all, he is pretty good in my opinion so far

So he is. I'm sure everyone here thinks he's *good* too. I mean, there's plenty of worse protagonists out there than Shirou... Yes, that's probably worth mentioning. Anyway, hope you have fun with the VN then, should be good for you.

Shiro... I have a lot of problems with Shiro... but I would say he isn't bad for this VN. Having an ultimate badass instead of a pussy like Shiro might of made F/SN a bit boring. And he does get a bit better throughout the routes. Anyways, I'll post my thoughts after i'm done with the HF arc.. probably in a few days. In the words of Jast, "It's coming soon."

Shiro... I have a lot of problems with Shiro... but I would say he isn't bad for this VN. Having an ultimate badass instead of a pussy like Shiro might of made F/SN a bit boring. And he does get a bit better throughout the routes. Anyways, I'll post my thoughts after i'm done with the HF arc.. probably in a few days. In the words of Jast, "It's coming soon."

I find he is pretty bad ass far as a normal person goes, like

when you are being chased by rider in the woods at the start of UBW and he trys to fight and then once he is left hanging by her chains how he trys to remove them by pulling the spike out of his wrist or in Fate when Saber is getting beaten by Gilgamesh.

also I do enjoy his gotta all the little good things attitude, the I will become a super hero that makes everyone around him smile attitude

I definitely have to agree with this. I hate shirou for many reasons but f/sn would have been pretty boring if the protagonist would be rance...

Actually, that would be awesome. ANYWAY, I don't want to start another Shirou hate thread and so I'll stop myself from saying anything more.

Also desi-chan, finish that god damn game asap.

I hope that you'll dislike the ending as much as I did, gahahaha~

I definitely have to agree with this. I hate shirou for many reasons but f/sn would have been pretty boring if the protagonist would be rance...

Actually, that would be awesome. ANYWAY, I don't want to start another Shirou hate thread and so I'll stop myself from saying anything more.

Also desi-chan, finish that god damn game asap.

I hope that you'll dislike the ending as much as I did, gahahaha~

Another? Has there already been one then? Not very surprising I guess.

So what did you think of the endings then? I'm curious. My own thoughts on it would be a guaranteed spoiler for desi (in particular) if put outside a spoiler box, oh yes it would be.

Harley, what's you overall score for F/SN?

Why, you thinking of reading it Gerard? x) Well you should, but you already know that. Though you've been spoiled on a few things?

Well this one of those must read VNs, as said before. But it's not perfection like Muv-Luv, so... a 9 I guess? It's incredibly entertaining overall. It's #5 on VNDB right now so it's expected to be great of course.

So what did you think of the endings then?

Let's keep it short.

First ending was lame BUT that's okay because the first route was nothing besides an introduction anyway.

Second ending was okay but I didn't like that wall of text from tohsaka.

Third ending was terrible because I can't stand happy endings like that.

So yeah, it's just ME who doesn't like those endings.

Why, you thinking of reading it Gerard? x)

I'm not thinking Harley, I've started reading F/SN 3 weeks ago. (a few days after Hei came into SB with his blue screen problem to be exact.)

That is, if we could count a 3 hours reading as starting. There's 3 or 4 reasons why I stopped reading, but mainly it's because I need to get used with the VN presentation.

But anyway, I'm planning to get back to F/SN after I completely finished Duel Savior.

Well you should, but you already know that.

Yep.

Though you've been spoiled on a few things?

I cursed myself for succumbing to the temptation of a spoiler button. Bah! -_-"

Though I believe it won't affect me much. Most of the spoilers that I've read involved the action of a certain characters whose name I can't even remember, so I've forgotten all about it except this one....

Archer is Shirou from the future...

although that explain a lot on why they can use the same power in the anime adaptation.

a 9 I guess?

I see.

Let's keep it short.

First ending was lame BUT that's okay because the first route was nothing besides an introduction anyway.

Second ending was okay but I didn't like that wall of text from tohsaka.

Third ending was terrible because I can't stand happy endings like that.

So yeah, it's just ME who doesn't like those endings.

Mm, I understand. Yes it'll of course differ alot from person to person what they think of these endings. Well it's nice to see different takes on it either way. How good each ending of F/sn is seems to be extremely subjective, honestly. More than usual even. I guess that's a good thing?

I'm not thinking Harley, I've started reading F/SN 3 weeks ago. (a few days after Hei came into SB with his blue screen problem to be exact.)

That is, if we could count a 3 hours reading as starting. There's 3 or 4 reasons why I stopped reading, but mainly it's because I need to get used with the VN presentation.

But anyway, I'm planning to get back to F/SN after I completely finished Duel Savior.

Oh right, I remember now. Yes I was wondering whether you had just stopped with it or not. Good anyway that you'll continue, because spoiled or not, it's still very much worth the read.

Man I need to finish UBW and then finish Heaven's feel, my opinion so far is quite opposite to you guys so far at least as far as Shiro goes :( lame that I'll be a bit late for the discussion by the time I finish but meh

also I read the first line of OneMan's spoiler I thought the Fate ending was a happy one and I would even call it cute, and at the very least it was very fitting but nothing amazing but that isn't a bad thing because I don't feel like the story needs a "boom" at the end if the "boom" was already there before and the ending is just simply an aftermath.

hope this makes at least some sense.

Edited by Stàr
that isn't a bad thing because I don't feel like the story needs a "boom" at the end

And that's exactly my problem. I read too many visual novels with an awesome ending and so I tend to not enjoy good endings in the same way like other people because they're crap compared to the awesome ones. Oh and never, never read spoilers, especially if they're about the game you're currently playing.