What is the last eroge you finished, and what do you think about it?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally Finished Grisaia no Kajitsu, feels likes it's been about a week and a half? meh who's counting, no time was wasted on this visual novel, I haven't enjoyed a read this much since i discovered g-senjou no maou and sharin no kuni My favorite heroine was Yumiko, followed by a tie between michiru and sachi, Amane was okay i didn't particularly like or dislike her, Makina on the other hand annoyed me.

Which is a shame considering you saw more of the innerworkings of ichigaya in this route then any other, but that wasn't the most important part of my enjoyment factor, Makina's route was like a bandaid for me, I had to get it over with first and foremost, as quickly and efficently as possible without causing me to miss alot of story details, to summarize: makina as a character bored me to tears and the only redemption was the awesome action-packed story that was delivered, not knocking you makina fans out there, I just didn't like her that much.

things that caught me off guard were things like

Michiru having a second personality, in retrospect I guess i sorta should've seen it coming but it was a surprise to me, but a nice good surprise.

and also

I really loved the beautiful CG at the end of the ending movie for amane, that was a beautiful picture, even if her route itself left me with a little more questions then I would've liked, for example.. Is Kazuki really dead? we might not ever know for sure if it's not addressed in the later sequels

Moving on..

Sachi's personality was certainly a unique one, I don't think i've ever encountered a character quite so interesting and unique before in any of the VN's i've read so far, it was a real treat, even if the backstory itself was sort of common they still managed to throw in a few curveballs to make it suspenseful and meaningful, I shed a few tears towards the end of this one. Very enjoyable

Finally,

At last we get to my particular favorite from the get-go, Yumiko, what can I really say about a route I enjoyed so much, i've always been a real sucker for tsunderes (good ones mind you.) and kuudere's so yumiko was a front runner from the start from just her personality and interactions with the protagonist and other heroines alone, to say nothing of the incredible story that she had, I felt like her story gave a glimpse into just how much our delusions about wealthy families can be proven false, not everything is sunshine with rainbows, that being said being able to finally experience the family love at the end of her route that she had always wanted, had me grinning ear to ear.

Oh almost forgot about our Dear protagonist

I'm not going to say anything particularly spoilerific, but people may take it as such, that said it's better to be safe than sorry, Our partially stoic-Tsundere like protagonist in itself was a character I found very likeable he certainly had a unique backstory about him that was never fully explored (Hopefully in the sequels that will change.) seeing him interact with the heroines in some situations had me laughing for quite a few minutes and his earnest desire to "save" them was very endearing, this visual novels demeanor might've changed dramatically without our favorite Yuuji behind the wheel.

In conclusion, an awesome read and i can't wait for the sequels.

My favorite heroine was Yumiko,

I'd read at least a quarter (or more) of Yumiko's route so far, and I believe this route has severe pacing issues. Yumiko's flashback is unnecessarily long, and it interrupts the entire story which is already long enough. Even if it gives details about her characters, that still doesn't justify the amount of time dedicated to it. All it showed was that [spoiler=Grisaia Yumiko] she'd lost people that she could trust and everyone else is manipulative, and we really didn't need such excessive flashback, especially since we already know her father is a fucking prick.

Edited by Gerard the Lone Wolf
Finally Finished Grisaia no Kajitsu, feels likes it's been about a week and a half? meh who's counting, no time was wasted on this visual novel, I haven't enjoyed a read this much since i discovered g-senjou no maou and sharin no kuni My favorite heroine was Yumiko, followed by a tie between michiru and sachi, Amane was okay i didn't particularly like or dislike her, Makina on the other hand annoyed me.

Although I also had a blast while reading it, I think Grisaia has bad pacing and there's a bunch of stuff that wasn't really necessary.

Take for example the overly long and uneventful common route? it took me a week to get out of that mess! XD (Yeah I have a job and a life, that's why)

Also, Yumiko's past.. ugh.. I've never been a fan of flashbacks and that left a permanent stain on her route...

Overall, I agree. Grisaia is very very good. Not excellent but yeah, that's just my opinion, though. :p

I think Grisaia has bad pacing and there's a bunch of stuff that wasn't really necessary.

Take for example the overly long and uneventful common route?

While I think it was fine since they fleshed out the characters and their personality thoroughly, and I got attached and grew to like them after spending time in the world with the characters, I could understand why others will be put off or burn out by its length and formulaic slice-of-life aspect with no real over-arching plot to tie them together. Though I personally don't think it has bad pacing or uneventful, just really long. The common route is great because of the fucking hilarious humor, Yuuji's monologues, and lively characters interaction with snappy dialogues. It's a long common route with relaxed pacing, unless people are reading with the mindset of rushing through to get to a specific heroine, in which a shorter fast paced common route would have work wonders. Overall, I think the length works for the characterization after all, and thanks to it the personality and peculiar traits of Grisaia heroines really shine through.

we all have heroines we dont like as much as the others, sorry if that offends you, but thats just my opinion :/

It's fine. I really love her personality and voice, and I think she's cute. But I can see why someone would think that she's annoying. lol

Edited by Gerard the Lone Wolf
Although I also had a blast while reading it, I think Grisaia has bad pacing and there's a bunch of stuff that wasn't really necessary.

Take for example the overly long and uneventful common route? it took me a week to get out of that mess! XD (Yeah I have a job and a life, that's why)

Also, Yumiko's past.. ugh.. I've never been a fan of flashbacks and that left a permanent stain on her route...

Overall, I agree. Grisaia is very very good. Not excellent but yeah, that's just my opinion, though. :p

While I can agree yumiko's route could have been paced better with the flashbacks, I enjoyed the long common route, there wasn't ever really a dull moment and watching everything develop was an awesome experience.

I found the common route really fun. Yes, it's long and you might get burnt out if you read it all at once, but it was really enjoyable. It's also important character development not only for the routes, but for the future titles as well. And yes, Yumiko's past drags like hell. Stupid narrative structure there. I'll write more about it once I actually finish grisaia though ^^.

After a long time....

I will never excuse myself, "I don't have time for eroge, I'm too busy." So I play many eroge with fast gameplay or ones without translation of the story (So I just can Ctrl the dialog). :p

Costum Raid V+

Quite fun, especially in making characters. It's a shame that the hairstyles is too limited.

Marunomi

Now. It's the real fun. Loli + tentacles. Yummy~. No meganeko makes me sad though.... I play it like a tamagochi. Now the tentacle is 100 m... long or big. (that's.... monstrous....) I hope I can ding it to the max size.

Clan-Hime no Cosplay RPG

Don't understand the story one a bit.... The CG's are good, plenty, and of course with various costumes for those who have cosplay fetish.

Kandar Appeared

The standard of Studio Erohouse: Rape and Ahog-- Ahegao! The RPG elements and the sekuhara battle is quite challenging.

Desire Dungeon

Hmmm.... Not bad. Quite easy, except the chance to meet Mimic.... The only thing that makes me still play this game is.... There are still blank line in the weapons and armors dictionary, so I assumed there are some weapons and armors that I haven't obtained....

Just finished, after a very agonizing week, Air.

I used Gao Gao's beta translation patch. here's my initial thoughts. link

Reading Summer and Air arcs, the quality doesn't change much. It's better than Konosora's localization (without restoration patch) at the very least, and this is still a beta patch, mind you. I'll be reporting on typos and points to edit to the TLs anyway.

Now on to the story.

First things first, this VN is sad. I won't bother making this a spoiler since the very essence of a Key VN is to warrant heart-rending emotions one way or the other.

But while Kanon, Clannad, Little Busters! and Rewrite have their soul-tearing moments, this one is a different monster altogether.

This VN displaces Clannad, MLA, ef and all other tear-inducing VNs I've read and takes the top spot in my "#1 Saddest VN list". Just a personal opinion you have a choice to respect or disregard, but it's something coming from me.

I've seen it posted somewhere, probably in this very forum, that "If Clannad made you cry enough tears for a week, Air will make you cry for a month". I think I get what they meant now.

This is Key and Jun Maeda at its best, making you cry. I think they've even overdone it.

Bring tissues.

And that comment is not for the H. This is Key we're talking about. This is a pre-Clannad VN, so the first PC releases come with H.

Just not good ones. The story can do without them, just implying that they did it would have sufficed.

This VN isn't for people who hate crying. If you don't like your soul being crushed with despair every time you think about this title, you can read other, more-recommended VNs from Key.

If you need catharsis once in a while, this VN will bring out your manly tears.

And I finally finished the walkthrough!

Here's a 100% CG walkthrough, based on the choices on the beta translation + TL correction on a mistranslation

Finally Finished Kimi ga Nozomu Eien. Surprisingly kinky. Pissing, exhibitionism, butt-rape, breast implants....you'd hardly know it was an age game.

Seriously though, it was as good or better than expected. I can kinda see why it made age big. Favorite route was probably loli nurse.

Rated 7.9/10, (for reference lower than Saya no Uta but above Clannad)

http://i.imgur.com/bq0EYWl.jpg

Edited by SaruDa

I finished reading Grisaia no Kajitsu last night ending with Yumiko route.

First let me say that during the common route I developed no particular interests for any of the heroines. None of them hit any of my tastes, that's all. With that, I ended up going through whichever heroine route presented itself to me first, and imo, this is the way people should be arranging the order. Why? Simple, after each route there were a few things mentioned before starting another route that's related to whichever route you finished. Example: after finishing Amane route and before starting Sachi route, Amane will say a few things related to her route which you won't catch unless going through her route in the first place. It's real subtle. Another example: before starting Michiru route, Sachi will whisper a few things related to her route. This pattern repeats itself, but do as you wish.

GRAPHICS: This is the first VN that I've played in 1920x1080 native resolution. It looks beautiful on my 27" IPS monitor. The artwork is pretty good as well but nothing anything like ef though this is practically a matter of preference. Someone may very well prefer the artwork of F/SN over this. The animation effects are OK but nothing like MLA where character faces animate in real-time. The game does utilize some lighting routines from DX9 though.

MUSIC: Honestly, I did not find it that good. It's good enough to set the mood but that's about it. Nothing special here. Moving on...

TRANSLATION: There are two very distinct styles of translating. Direct, and indirect. I prefer translating direct, or literally whatever the character(newspaper, articles, etc) is saying even to the point of it sounding a little awkward. Meaning, word for word, nothing omitted, nothing modified. English and Japanese is so different, even in the way you must think between the two languages, that some indirect translation is unavoidable (a whole paragraph can be written in one sentence for Japanese and you will probably end up needing to split it up into sentences for English though this only happens in literature like articles/newspaper/novels(no not VN)/etc). I don't like indirect translation because this ends up tainting the meaning of the medium by whoever is TLing in their own image. With that said, the translation of Kajitsu went beyond indirect, they practically added their own writing to the text. This is a definite no-no in my books. This went so far that I was usually confused in whether the TLing is completely off or they just modified the body to their own writing style. That's my take though I doubt anyone who doesn't understand Japanese will notice anything strange. In short, the translation was either a hit or a miss for most of the time.

CHARACTERS: Truly a unique group of characters this time. One of the high points of the game is watching the interactions between characters (no not just the heroines, but everyone). Speaking of heroines, here's my ranking:

1. Makina: I did not find her that cute but found her and her route the most interesting of the bunch. A smile would spread across my face each time she opens her mouth.

2. Amane: I did not like the heroine that particularly well but a certain event in the route is the highlight of this game. And a certain silver-haired character in that event practically made the route for me.

Fortunately this certain character will definitely be seen again from extrapolating the conclusion of the bad ending. If you want a glimpse of the sequel, do not skip the bad ending for this route.

3. Yumiko: I kind of liked this heroine and her route was not that bad either. There are as many people who like this route as there are who dislike it.

4. Michiru: The only thing I liked about Michiru is the voice actress. This heroine was too much of a clown for me. I was really enjoying the first-half of the route mainly because I just finished Amane route and was thinking Michiru was somehow connected to a certain silver-haired character but the route quickly became dull for me when the truth was learned.

5. Sachi: I wasn't really fond of Sachi or her route. I was really banging my head against the wall trying to finish this route. It really just dragged on for me and I think it's even longer than Makina route. It adds a little bit to the backstory of Yuuji but that's about it.

I think this an OK VN but because I wasn't interested in any of the heroines I probably did not enjoy it as much as others. I don't know if it's because I wasn't in the mood or something else but none of them really cliqued with me except a sub-character in Amane route.

Last, I'm wondering whether or not I should just continue with Meikyuu and Rakuen as they seem to be really short compared to Kajitsu (Meikyuu and Rakuen combined is still smaller than Kajitsu). It seems that Meikyuu is dealing with Yuuji's past with a nasty cliffhanger in the end while Rakuen is hell and the aftermath.

Anyway, I seemed to have developed an unhealthy obsession with a certain silver-haired character so will probably go through the trilogy this week before the semester begins.

Edited by boukyaku
OOPS, potential spoiler fixed
I finished reading Grisaia no Kajitsu last night ending with Yumiko route.

GRAPHICS: This is the first VN that I've played in 1920x1080 native resolution. It looks beautiful on my 27" IPS monitor. The artwork is pretty good as well but nothing anything like ef though this is practically a matter of preference. Someone may very well prefer the artwork of F/SN over this. The animation effects are OK but nothing like MLA where character faces animate in real-time. The game does utilize some lighting routines from DX9 though.

If you are taking into account the years that ef has on its shoulders fine and agreed, but at face value Grisaia's art is better. In ef the backgrounds are impressive, but those that are really over-complicated are mostly the ones in the school and in the city with the people, that people aside (not that well drawn either) have nothing more of what Grisaia has and maybe something less, like Grisaia's awesome coloration.

The charades of ef is very good if you look only to Naru Nanao's heroines, and while I'm not that pleased with some of Watanabe's -of which I'm a fan- sprites and cgs in the end Grisaia's charades is better.

What's still incredible about ef imo is Makoto Shinkai, the system, Makoto Shinkai, the quantity of effects (more than MLA) and Makoto Shinkai. And Makoto Shinkai. Everyone can see how Minori spent a shitload of money on it.

Talking about F/SN... yes, one could like that more as well as the art of Higurashi, Kira Kira or every other vn for all that count but that's it.

I didn't quote the rest of the post but, for all I know, I agree on other points (done with the common but still playing the routes). For now the heroines of this game don't interest me (though Yuuji is funny, the guy made me laugh more than once, I think especially while talking with Amane) and the bgm is average.

I read mostly Fujisaki's stuff; the writing itself is good, but there are scenes that talk about nothing at all/take too long to make a point. The lenght of the common isn't justified by the process of definition of the characters traits, those were defined well enough before Reflections on a Reflection, what comes next was not entirely, but mostly comedy for the sake of comedy. And that is halfway in the common...

I'm finding this game too long but not because is 70 hours, is long because is a... can't really say atm but maybe 40/45 hours? vn stretched to last 70 hours.

Edited by Uzuki Sepia

I ended up finishing グリザイアの迷宮 (Grisaia no Meikyuu) last night in its raw form. I had to use a dictionary since at least 20% of this game contains technical terms.

After playing this "sequel", I firmly believe that Kajitsu is mainly to prepare the readers for whats to come. Here's a little comparison:

Kajitsu = MLE

Meikyuu = MLU

Rakuen = MLA (Maybe I'm wrong with this, no idea what to expect from Rakuen)

I am not comparing these two directly, but just pointing out that comparing Meikyuu to Kajitsu is like comparing MLU to MLE. For those who don't know, MLE and MLU is mainly to prepare you for MLA. Same thing with the Grisaia trilogy (still, I don't know what to expect from Rakuen so just assuming here).

On to the game then, there's no route to choose from. You have the heroine afters, which I skipped completely, an hscene and short scene option, which I skipped as well, and the main route, Yuuji's past. I did not run into a single choice.

The main route will throw you in one hell of a roller coaster ride. This game WILL NOT be released overseas. EVER. There's much less comedy compared to Kajitsu, but when it hits, it hits hard, much harder than Kajitsu... I won't say anymore, but playing every heroine route in Kajitsu is important.

I will say this though, I would start Meikyuu once (or if) both Meikyuu and Rakuen are translated. The cliff hanger in Meikyuu is just god awful and I'm glad I have a chance to continue immediately to Rakuen. It's the only reason why I will call Meikyuu a sequel, otherwise, it's basically a prequel to Kajitsu. It answers all the loop holes and mysteries (except one) of Kajitsu dealing with Yuuji's past. Rakuen is the first VN I will play that was recently released. For the most part, all VNs I've played are at least over two years old due to the time it takes to translate. Rakuen is, as of now, 3 months old. Unfortunately, it will probably take over two years to fully translate both games assuming everything progresses smoothly.

Yuuji's route practically has its own soundtrack. Whenever you transition to the current time and see the Mihama students interacting, it switches back to Kajitsu soundtrack (which I didn't like very much). I liked Yuuji's soundtrack much more, it varies from jazz, to classical and techno/rave with added in guitar melodies.

The most interesting character of Yuuji's past was Asako. What a woman!

The art was the same as Kajitsu, no change there.

I don't think there will be any problems with translation. The grammar in this game is extremely simple and the hardest part is getting past the lingo and terminology that gets thrown out whenever dealing with the military, spies, warfare, etc. The writing style was interesting to say the least. I usually play translated games because reading Japanese takes me 2-3 times longer than English and I also have to focus a lot more to fully grasp what is going on. This also take a lot more energy.

BTW, the largest problem with both Kajitsu and Meikyuu is the monologue. It's way too long. It makes Kajitsu feel forcefully stretched. This isn't as noticeable in Meikyuu since it's not even half the length of Kajitsu if you're only playing Yuuji's past but still really annoying.

That's my report on this "sequel". I don't think anyone will be disappointed except those who hate Amane/Makina route (I feel it's the same heavy atmosphere).

I will start Rakuen tonight and try to finish within 3-4 days.

Unfortunately, it will probably take over two years to fully translate both games assuming everything progresses smoothly.

Very doubtful. The next two games combined is a good amount shorter than Kajitsu, and Kajitsu took about a year to translate. Estimated time for translation completion for Meikyuu was ~7 months and Rakuen was ~5 months. Of course, he isn't going to translate right after the game comes out, but I doubt it will take over 2 years.