Death of the main character. "may contain some spoiler alerts"

Which do you prefer  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer

In my spare time I've been working on a book and one of the things that I tend to have mixed feelings about is the death the main character. Having a character live through an extreme trial that seems that no human could survive seems sort of off to me but only in some situations have I excepted the character living.

"spoiler alert".................................................................................................................... Samurai Champloo is one of an anime where the main character lives even though they should've died.

On the other hand "spoiler alert".............................................................................................Cowboy Bebop is a good example of where the character dying in the end was a good fit for the story.

1.So I'm asking is do you feel better when the character lives through extreme emotional and physical situations where he shouldn't survive but has an goes on to have a happy ending.

Or do you favor a ending where the main character succeeds in his endeavors but dies in the end.

I appreciate any feedback.

Ignore the poll I was going to ask something along with my original post but decided it was to much to explain.

Edited by Breakthrough

It depends really what kind of setting the story takes place. Normally i would immiadiatly answer you

when the character lives through extreme emotional and physical situations where he shouldn't survive but has an goes on to have a happy ending
but now that i think of it i read several VN's were it was really fitting that the main char died at the end.
It depends really what kind of setting the story takes place. Normally i would immiadiatly answer you but now that i think of it i read several VN's were it was really fitting that the main char died at the end.
Yeah , that's pretty much the truth...settings determine the plot progress and character decisions.

Actually one of my favorite endings to one of eroge I played had the MC die. Even though it wasn't the good ending I found it... touching... maybe? Not sure on the right word to use... Well anyways the MC died and pretty much saved... stuff and the girl for the route still lived. Then the ending fast forwarded in time. The chick is an old hag but still loved the MC... Yeah my summery makes it not very interesting but any details would defiantly be spoilers. And the funny thing is it was for one of the girls I liked the least. Though also that's the only one I played so far where the MC dies and it's one of the game endings and not a game over thing. Then again I barely have many games under my belt :p

Like Code Geass. O_O It was a "good" solution but at the same time, nobody wants the see the main character, someone they had time to connect with, just die. It leaves a bad aftertaste, even if it does end the story well.

Yea I am ware that the setting and the story leads to the ending I was just asking your opinions on the main character death in general.like does it make you made to see, or like you just got screwed out of your time because the guy your backing for died.Just asking what you prefer in general a sweet death or a happy ending.

But thanks I do appreciate the responses.

• 3 weeks later...

Death of main Character...

Well, I personally don't like it. what I do know is, I must not get attached to the story(which always occurred the opposite to me)..while it maybe a good fit to the story, or could provide a suitable end..I always found myself asking 'why?', 'why him/her?', 'why did you do that(the cause of death)?', and then reach the stage of 'who the f*ck create this!', cursing the story, the author, the time I can't take back, the unsatisfied feeling, the 'it could've been better' feeling.. and lastly, I found myself Imagining alternate routes so the story will go on..

So tiring..

Death of main Character...

Well, I personally don't like it. what I do know is, I must not get attached to the story(which always occurred the opposite to me)..while it maybe a good fit to the story, or could provide a suitable end..I always found myself asking 'why?', 'why him/her?', 'why did you do that(the cause of death)?', and then reach the stage of 'who the f*ck create this!', cursing the story, the author, the time I can't take back, the unsatisfied feeling, the 'it could've been better' feeling.. and lastly, I found myself Imagining alternate routes so the story will go on..

So tiring..

dammit i agree with you, and even without death as a part of the main story, death because taking the wrong option did the same for me, as i used to love my eroge so much i got so absorbed in the story, death caused by picking a wrong option killed my heart.. darn i can't curse anyone but me, my incapability to think the best idea, and the time I can't take back, the unsatisfied feeling, the 'it could've been better' feeling.. and lastly, I found myself gathering up strength to let the story goes on to the real end... it changes my mood completely, it feels like i kill one of my favorite character, make them suffer, make them sad, that guilty feeling and the unexplainable feeling run throughout my body, that was hell.. and i just can't do anything but going on with regret on my mind, try to looking for nonexistent salvation.

• 1 month later...

Personally I have never run into a story where the main character died. It's ussually the love interest who dies, then again I forgot about Kashimashi (spoilers) the main character dies in the first chapter then is resurrected as a girl.

I find it more interesting when it isn't the main character who dies but someone close to him/her, then you have to watch as he/she either overcomes that lose or goes nuts as kills everyone involved.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know about the main protagonist dying but I've seen an anime where a heroine died, and then one manga where again the heroine died but ended with a determined main protagonist loving another woman.