how did you end up in the world of eroge

Pretty boring story for me; found out there were a lot of VNs based off animes I had watched (mainly Shuffle! as I loved the anime up until the end, in which case I hated that anime...Only anime I stopped watching in my life. /rant). After that..Well, yeah...

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It all started with Charles Barkley. About five month's ago me and a friend watched a remix video of a Katawa Shoujo theme having no clue what it was from we looked it up and downloaded it. Ever since then i have been in to eroges and Vn's.

Edited by AlastorDrake

It was very lucky of me when the first eroge I played is KIRAKIRA (OVERDRIVE). First, I don't know what eroge or visual novel are ;however, I finally download it for the first time 3 years ago. When I entered the game, the atmosphere was changed. I was strongly attracted to those lively characters and the story. Until now I still don't know the specific reasons for me to download the game.

I love to be with those characters. I just can't get myself out of their world even though the game reached its ending. I was very pleased after I finished.

I love the way eroges are. These can't be found in any other things in the world. Great story, lovely characters, nice BGM, these things aren't replaceable for me.

I love EROGE !!!

History: KIRAKIRA, KIRAKIRA Curtain Call, Edelweiss, Edelweiss Eiden Fantasia, Go!Go!Nippon, Koihime Musou

It was very lucky of me when the first eroge I played is KIRAKIRA (OVERDRIVE). First, I don't know what eroge or visual novel are

the same for me, except i played kira kira via iphone, so no ero scene. but still, since then im addicted to VNs, and eventually to eroges.

My story coming into this scene is err... insane. Let's see...

It was a long while ago, the year was 2007. I moved to an apartment in the city to stay close to my workplace, and finally had some actual private, parentless time. Around the same time, a tech mag I subscribed to ran an article about Hentai and how it's breeding on the 'net. Looking back at it, the article was full of ignorant, oblivious criticisms, and has the word "propaganda" written all over it, but I guess you can figure that out by yourselves. Now, before reading that issue, I didn't know what the fuck Hentai was about so the article kind of had an indoctrination effect on me. Made me kind of skeptical about the whole concept of it. But at least while I was skeptical, I wasn't very vocal about it. It was less "Aww this shit sounds disgusting, hideous, the fuck why it has to exist?" and more "Well, it ain't my thing, but it's out there 'cause somebody's into it, so good for them". Oooooooh boy did that view change drastically 5 years later.

A short time later, early 2008, I was 22 years old, almost forgotten about said article when suddenly at the forum I was active at, bursted out from nowhere a heated debate about Hentai, or more specifically, Hentai games. I won't give the name of the site and his username but basically, a guy in the forum caught a gameplay footage of RapeLay (the more "action packed" part) and got so furious about it that he wrote a 7-paragraph post expressing his rant and posted it on the site. It took me 30-40 minutes to read every word of that post, and when I was done and hit the refresh button, the thread reached the 5th page. I shit you not! 5 pages of reply in half a fucking hour! That thread was heated and suddenly became the talk of the day... naw, scratch that, the talk of the month. That thread reached about 20-something pages at the end of the day, by the way.

Minus the spammers, the thread bascially had 2 sides, the skeptics and the supporters (not being the vocal guy, I stayed out of it and just lurked). At first I thought there would be a lot of members agreeing with the furious OP, turns out there are a lot of hentai supporters on the site too. And I thought the skeptics would tip the scale on their side, but the longer the thread goes on, the supporters owned a lot of the debates. Generally speaking, the skeptics all had the same prejudices that they repeated over and over again, while the supporters, having actually played these games, constantly attacked and exposed the inexperience of the skeptics. They also name-dropped quite a lot of story-centric games in the thread which, at the time, I and other skeptics have no idea what they're about. I picked out a selected numbers of games that were mentioned the most by the supporters, which are One, Tsukihime and Kana Little Sister (keep in mind, this was early 2008, not a lot of VNs had been translated at this point). I sent the URL to one of my friend on Yahoo! Messenger to which he replied that he's on the supporters' side (to my surprise). So I asked him again about whether I should try out said games, getting a reply along the lines of "Dude, you gonna dig this shit. I know what kind of shit you'd dig, man.". That guy knew I was a skeptic before all of this happened, by the way.

So I whipped up my Google skills, found One and the English patch in 5 minutes (and did some research about the terminologies on Wikipedia while it was downloading) and got the game running in an afternoon. I was a bit entranced by the light, concise, more accessible writing than the books I usually read, but at the same kind of felt comfortable in a way. The game goes on smoothly for a good length, climaxes came and go (bad puns not intended, I'm sorry), it was not as bad as I was afraid, but didn't impress me much. I gave these games a second chance nonetheless.

This time, whipped up Google again, found Tsukihime the next day and started playing it for the next week. GOD-FREAKING-DAMN did I hit the jackpot. Tsukihime being good is one thing, but the fact that it is so bizarre that it's unlike anything I've read before sucked me in. The game is so long that half way through, I found myself wondering "How are they gonna fit a sex scene into this kind of stor... oh wait a minute, here it comes, uh oh.". Yeah, thank god I found Tsukihime before FSN because god knows how terrible FSN's ero scenes were, but that's another matter.

Next thing I know, 4 years later, I find myself playing Yuzusoft games hooked up with Interactive Text Hooker.

Edited by Aqua
My story coming into this scene is err... insane. Let's see...

Minus the spammers, the thread bascially had 2 sides, the skeptics and the supporters (not being the vocal guy, I stayed out of it and just lurked). At first I thought there would be a lot of members agreeing with the furious OP, turns out there are a lot of hentai supporters on the site too. And I thought the skeptics would tip the scale on their side, but the longer the thread goes on, the supporters owned a lot of the debates. Generally speaking, the skeptics all had the same prejudices that they repeated over and over again, while the supporters, having actually played these games, constantly attacked and exposed the inexperience of the skeptics. They also name-dropped quite a lot of story-centric games in the thread which, at the time, I and other skeptics have no idea what they're about. I picked out a selected numbers of games that were mentioned the most by the supporters, which are One, Tsukihime and Kana Little Sister (keep in mind, this was early 2008, not a lot of VNs had been translated at this point).

Haha, why on earth would anyone recommend One as a story-centric eroge? The least they could do is recommend Kanon instead. (Okay granted, early 2008. Still, Yume Miru Kusuri or something?)

One has a retard as a heroine and a forced rape scene for the main heroine instigated by the protagonist for no good reason!

Edited by SaruDa
This time, whipped up Google again, found Tsukihime the next day and started playing it for the next week. GOD-FREAKING-DAMN did I hit the jackpot. Tsukihime being good is one thing, but the fact that it is so bizarre that it's unlike anything I've read before sucked me in. The game is so long that half way through, I found myself wondering "How are they gonna fit a sex scene into this kind of stor... oh wait a minute, here it comes, uh oh.". Yeah, thank god I found Tsukihime before FSN because god knows how terrible FSN's ero scenes were, but that's another matter.

^ This is basically how I felt when I found Tsukihime in the early stages of my entry into VNs. 'Unlike anything I've read before' fits my feelings very well. That's a very interesting and somewhat convoluted journey to here lol, but we welcome you all the same! Also, I laughed while I read your description of the war over RapeLay; I don't know why, but it seems like that's the one and only game among many that is guaranteed to make the uninitiated angry.

It'll happen to me sooner or later..I've been exposed with Manga and Anime as long as I can remember but, I have to admit that my curiosity hit the peak when I read TWGOK. then I intensely searched the net and eventually ended up at Erogedownload..

about that things with skeptics, I never bothered to argue with them.., why do we have to argue about something they haven't experienced yet? I've learned many things from those Manga, Anime, VNs...reminded me of what is important...what have I done in my life, so I could take a step back and fix things that should be fixed, do things that should've been done...

• 1 month later...
why do we have to argue about something they haven't experienced yet?

Because god loves stupid people, that's the reason why there are so many of them. I do think that people are more open minded these days but sadly not all the time.

Got bored of Anime, Came across a discussion board ( Not this one ), Saw an Eroge section ( Had heard Eroge mentioned a lot in anime before that ), Checked it out, Saw one translated to English so i tried it out and it pretty much started from there..

I already told my story in comments to one of games is posted on erogedownload, but since comments here work much better i guess i can elaborate...

First game i played was "True Love" at the end of 90s. I really don't remember how i got a hold of it (i think i got it by accident while copying over AMVs and animes from other fan's hdd at convention), but i was totally immersed by it, so i started looking for similar games (which was quite hard. there was no google back then), and found two new titles - "Season of Sakura" and "Nocturnal illusion". Especially the second one's story absolutely blew me away - idea of illusionary mansion where people with various issues wander to to solve their problems, "fairy tales" characters, even the "gameplay" added to it ( games from back then had quite annoying system, similar to oldschool adventure games, like "Monkey Island", and you had to click multiple chains of commands, like "LOOK, THINK, THINK, LOOK..." with text repeating itself, until you got the "right" combination or clicked-thru all possible options ) - that system annoyed me a lot in Seasons of Sakura, but in Nocturnal Illusions it just added more depth to character - player felt stranded in mansion, along with main character, wandering from room to room, before action started. After those three games i knew what to look for, so finding next ones became much easier. I think i found geocities ( or maybe lycos? or maybe some other similar service) page , while looking for walkthrough to get all characters in True Love and Nocturnal Illusions, that listed all such titles available in english - it was piece of cake to get most of them now - just search for them in Kazaa.

When there was no more new games for me to play ( back then there were 2-3 games coming out a year, not a month...), i took some kind of break, watching anime and playing Bioware's RPGs ( check "Planescape: Torment" if you haven't played it already - this game is awesome), when i "returned" VNs made a huge progress, with titles like Snow Drop and Kana - graphics were much nicer, interface was easy to use, not having to pay for every minute spent on the internet/downloading definetely helped as well ( we made a small lan with few neighbours, rented "brodaband" and split the monthly cost). I played every game that came out in that period. That's also when first fan translation patches are made.

Fast forward few years again, i'm lurking on 4chan, when there's new company called "Mangagamer" started.... Yes, they had terrible start back then - terrible translation quality, cut content. People really didn't like them back then - everytime they released a game, users made it a point of honour to crack and release it as fast as possible. Discussions about how much game/translation/DRM sucks were "decorated" with images of MG's mascot being violated in various ways. What really striked me with all "torrent where", "download where" "crack where", is that there's no centralized site where users can download every english VN that gets released, track what goes translated without lurking thru 100s of "japanese bird cooking spaggethi" threads on 4chan and easily find the patches. Sure, back then you could find english patches on hongfire, but you were prohibitted sharing of USA releases and it was often hard to find english fantranslated games, as there were literally thousands of japanese game threads there. As i was running a few "warez" forums then, i decided to buy erogedownload.com domain, and start new site...

Fast forward few years again, i'm lurking on 4chan, when there's new company called "Mangagamer" started.... Yes, they had terrible start back then - terrible translation quality, cut content. People really didn't like them back then - everytime they released a game, users made it a point of honour to crack and release it as fast as possible. Discussions about how much game/translation/DRM sucks were "decorated" with images of MG's mascot being violated in various ways.

I guess mangagamer had it tough before... at least it managed to recover and also,... thanks to them a lot of my favorite VN's were translated very well.

personally i have to give my thanks to Ivan...

after all...

it all started with him and his Erogedownload that i reach here where i am now...

basicly i was in to manga and anime on my early teens until i have a comp for my ownself which i able to surf the web like now...

at first,,

i personally interested to find for other stories in F/SN, Kanon and Clannad..

which i accidentally bump in to eroge section..

and thus all the hiatus started which makes me love eroge more...

i for starters didn't pursue the H scene of the Vn...

but more concerned bout how the story goes and character development...

oddly enough,,,

the first Eroge that i finish is Fate...guess i'm linked to Saber for long time

seriously...

if you know which country i came from...

it'll be a suprise that 99% are banned in the country..even with a little fanservice

therefore...

i forward my thanks to Ivan again that due to his kindness and willingness...

he created a website and a forum which link all of us now..

at least there's a few place like this which we can express ourself and our opinion~

About 3 years ago i played a few bad eroges, Only managing to find them off sites on google and The Pirate Bay.

Quite awhile ago i stumbled apon here.

I was glad that everything was stored in a single place.